Looking for Chihuahua names?
Chihuahuas are the world’s smallest breed of dog, and one of the most popular too. They’re named after the Mexican state where they were discovered in 1850, which explains why Spanish names are so popular for this breed.
As you look for names for your new Chihuahua, the most important thing to remember is to choose a name that you like and that also suits your dog. To help you do this, here are four suggestions, specifically suited to Chihuahuas, you may want to take:
1) You can look for a name that refers to your dog’s most obvious physical attribute – its size. In this instance, names like Atom, Gadget, Peanut, Tic Tac and Tinkerbell might fit the bill.
2) You can look for Chihuahua names that refers to your dog’s Spanish heritage. Bonita (pretty), Chiquita (small girl), Carlos and Geraldo are all examples of Spanish names.
3) You can look for a name that has a touch of humor of hyperbole. For example, imagine a little Chihuahua called Moose, Hercules or Bruiser! These names are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face.
4) Since little dogs are famous for their big personalities and bold attitudes, you can look for Chihuahua names that refer to this trait. Diva, Princess, Jock and Napoleon are all examples of names with attitude!
5) Use your hobbies for inspiration. If you’re a golfer, how about the name Putter? Love to read? Choose the name of your favorite author!
6) Think of famous people – presidents, royalty, movie stars, scientists, inventors…the list goes on. If there’s someone you admire or whose name you like, you may want to name your Chihuahua after them.
7) Look at your Chihuahua’s other physical attributes, such as its color and markings. How about Q-Tip for a white Chihuahua or Oreo for a black and white one?
8) Choose names from other languages. If you’re looking for something a little out of the ordinary, choose a Native American Chihuahua name like Yoki (rain) or a Japanese Chihuahua name like Kabuki (Japanese dance-drama).
Use your imagination to help make choosing a Chihuahua name both fun and creative. The only names you should avoid are Chihuahua names that sound like commands and names that are demeaning to your Chihuahua.
Also, one or two-syllable names are usually considered preferable, as they are easiest to pronounce and easiest for your dog to understand.
Finally, don’t forget to enlist the help of your Chihuahua! Call out some of the names on your short-list and wait to see his or her reaction. This may help seal the deal on the perfect Chihuahua name. Good luck!